Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Tuesday in Japan

This afternoon we decided to go to Miyajima island, one of the 3 top sights in Japan.  The island of the gods, this entire island is considered holy ground.  In our first moments on the island, we discovered our welcoming committee.   Simply roaming around enjoying the day:
The signs say not to feed them or touch them-- I tried to follow directions, but somebody needed to tell HIM the rules.  He was very friendly.  I finally gave in and touched him; his antlers were fuzzy and soft!  I apparently did not know that was what antlers felt like before they were dried to bone and hung up in your garage.


We all took the obligatory fan pic-- I think Madeline's is the cutest :)
We saw a traditional Japanese table and cushions (I'm sure they have a proper name, but I obviously don't know them) and we just had to sit down for a pic!
This is my apprehensive face.
We decided to try something new.  We went to the Dr. Fish. So, here we go. Are you ready for this?

This is a bit of info on what we tried.  No matter how hard I try I can't get the darn thing to be landscape.  Sorry...  "It endures though it is ticklish."
These are our apprehensive feet.
The beginning of the swarming.
Okay, then here's a close up of the little fishes trying to eat me.

Ah! We alternated between yelling that this was "so weird!" and "so horrible!" and that it was "the coolest thing ever!"  So I guess that means we're not really sure what we thought of it... :)
On this island is where they make these little pancake sort of things filled with various, erm, fillings.  They're all shaped like a maple leaf and you can buy them all over the world, but they're made here.  Like I said.  Anyway, here's a pic of the machines that make the little leafy things.
And a more finished product.
 
 And the obligatory picture in eating said leafy pancake thing in front of the largest rice paddle in the world. Seriously. Like they checked.
And here we have some beautiful and seriously yummy beef bundles.  Holly loved the dough and I loved the middle, so we made a great pair :)


Learned that this entrance to the holy place and the holy place itself are not actually rooted down, or attached to a foundation but are instead perfectly balanced on the sea bed. As such, they call it the floating shrine.  They do it so that it a severe storm comes the shrine can give way a bit to the weather.  So, the goddess in the shrine will never be touched by water because the building thing will give way with the water if necessary. It's an architectural miracle in my brain. I can't even fathom it.
Maddie rolled out some prayers while we walked up to a temple...
...and I got to ring a really big gong thing...
Maddie was wandering around checking out the temple,
but all she really wanted to do was take a nap on the prayer rug.
I was a little surprised by the feeling of being in a public place without shoes.  It was weird.
Look at me! Look at me!
We did a hike to get to the tram to avoid a hike to get to the top of the mountain. Ya follow?  It was a beautiful view; both the hike and the tram :)

We were really looking forward to seeing the monkeys at the top of the mountain.  Here are some nice signs to prepare us for this adventure.
BaHahahaha!  This was absolutely the best one!  Yes, that leaping monkey has vampiristic teeth.  Here are the other two as well:


"We do not hope to be such a monkey."  These signs are absolutely my favorite.  Unfortunately, we did not have the opportunity to test these theories of what would happen as a result of staring monkeys in the eyes or whether or not they were interested in our cameras.  They were not out and about that day :(
We spent a bit of time searching for an eternal flame there. It has apparently been burning since the year 539. Seriously?? How can they even call that a year?  Like who hears the number 539 and thinks that it could even possibly be a year?  That's so amazing.  Anyway, back to the flame; we never found it, but the view from the top was pretty beautiful.
The whole way back, however it started pouring and we walked for seriously like a mile or two in the downpour before we got to the car.  I don't understand where they all came from, but suddenly every single native Japanese person had possession of a very useful umbrella.  We, of course, did not.  Poor Madeline got soaked to the bone in her little stroller, despite our best efforts to stay under trees and put stuff over her head.  We were exhausted but happy to say the least at the end of our amazing day in Miyajima!

2 comments:

  1. oh my gosh - scary fish! i think you're brave. i don't think i could have done that.

    um my mom didn't make up beef bundles? and they're japanese?? what did they have inside? kind of like an egg roll? thats so random for me...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm pretty sure my blog post originally said something about how they made me think of you. And apparently that comment was left on the cutting room floor... Yeah, they were just like yours; with like beef and onions and a yummy sauce inside. Weird, huh?

    ReplyDelete