Monday, November 23, 2009

Further Costa Rica Drama

Well, Costa Rica is off. Again. Due to poor money management, the College of Education is in a great deal of debt and cannot find enough corners to cut. They have decided to suspend our program because they want us to stay here and put our money into their coffers instead of those of the international programs.

Many of my fellow students are valiantly fighting this decision, but I have yet to throw in my full support. I feel that I may have already fought my fight for this program, and don't know if I have the energy to keep fighting. I want to support my classmates, however, so I will strive to support them, but as far as I know, I will be staying in Arizona to do my student teaching from January to May. Yay.

The worst part of it was that we had to take our state board exams (the AEPA) early since we would be in Costa Rica later. Almost all of us were registered to take this intense test on Saturday. We received an email about our cancelled program on Friday night, so we were all incredibly distracted on test day. That was probably my biggest complaint regarding the method of cancellation.

I was sad about it for like a minute when I found out, but I think I did enough crying the first time I thought I wasn't going, so I'm fairly indifferent at this point. Darn though. Darn. What makes me the saddest is the disappointment of my friends who planned to go. This is not fair to them. But, I'm moving forward and finding a placement here. I wonder what adventures await!

3 comments:

  1. I would feel bad for you, and I sort of do, but if I'm honest I'm happy I won't have to find someone else to pester for 4 or 5 months next year, which I'd have to do if you went to Costa Rica.

    Wow, hello, run-on sentence.

    ReplyDelete
  2. can i just say...wow. wow! you did all that suffering, then to get to go! and then to not because of budgets? wow. i am so sorry. and i totally know the whole already-spent-all-my-feelings feeling. i've done that. i hope you get your ideal perfect placement to learn what you need. good luck!

    ReplyDelete