Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Official Week 1 and Week 2

Well, in week one, I started taking over bits and pieces of the routine-- mostly I was in charge of the daily warm-ups, the small group phonics lessons, and walking the kids around campus for specials and such.

Week two started the control of more serious lessons.  I have officially taken over the Science curriculum.  My wonderful mentor teacher Mrs. V. will not have to teach another Science lesson for the rest of the year.  Or at least until May... MPS has these great Science kits that they send us, so they technically have "lesson plans" created, and they send us all the materials.  For my kids, however, why would anything be easy???  I take everything from the box and recreate the lessons in Spanish using the parts I like and that will best help my kids to not only learn the Science, but also the Spanish.  After my first Science lesson I thought I was going to throw up. It went very poorly because of, well, me.  The second time around (i get to teach every lesson twice, which I LOVE) it went MUCH better and I don't feel quite as sick... :)  That was the first day I felt like a real-life teacher.  I ended up staying at the school working on my planning and prep for a few extra hours while the whole 2nd grade team went out to have drinks.  They're good to invite me, and also very good to let me decline :)

I'm also taking over the Spanish grammar lessons, and starting next week, the Social Studies curriculum.  So I'm looking for some fun ideas to present my Early US History Unit starting next week, and going until Spring Break! :)

3 comments:

  1. Wow- how cool and exciting for you! I'm so glad I can stalk your blog so I know what's going on in your life :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. so... if you're teaching each lesson twice (i assume in the same day to different groups of students)... what happens when you completely take over? is there enough time in the day?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm thinking no. She pretty much is having me take over a lot faster than I'm supposed to. I think she's really excited to pass the buck... Which is fine, whatever. Yeah, sometimes I teach one lesson one day and then I teach it again the next day or sometimes as much as a week later. I'm not sure I really answered that well...

    MEGAN!!! It's been a million years! I need to go stalk YOU! :)

    ReplyDelete