Friday, November 9, 2012

Gratitude Day #9: Choice and Work

Today I'm grateful for the freedom to choose. I don't always make the best decisions, but it's wonderful to know that I get to make them. Be it mistake or brilliance, I get to choose how to move forward. Sometimes it's a big responsibility and sometimes I don't want it, but it's a blessing to know I can do it.

I think this moment of gratitude is brought to you by a rather depressing conversation about the direction of our country which took place between my beautiful roommates and me last night. We were discussing the downfall of capitalism brought about by the changes in direction of our government within recent and coming years, and Hailei put forth an intriguing and beautiful question. We were discussing the realities of how the rewards of success are to be weakened, lessening peoples' desires to succeed and be great in their businesses. Hailei asked, "But if we as individuals choose to continue to be hard-working at strive to achieve in spite of the lack of rewards, could we shove it in the face of the welfare state?" While the answer in my mind is, sadly, no, I found the sentiment inspiring. Simply because the social mobility and rewards of capitalism will be weakened in our country moving forward does not imply that I cannot continue to work my hardest, avoid the trap of entitlement, and choose to be the hardest and best worker that I know how. Unfortunately for me, that will not result in the desired effect (lots of money and upward mobility), but I can choose to let it define me; I can choose to be a hardworking dedicated person and not allow entitlement to damage and degrade my life.  Go choice!

No comments:

Post a Comment