Friday, August 16, 2013

Earthquake?? Not literally...

So, I heard a rumor that there was a big earthquake in Mexico City today-- if anyone felt it down here, I didn´t hear about it.

Today was another long day of meetings, mostly "team building" brought to us by La Familia Michoacana... (that one´s for David:) In reality, they are a family from Michoacan that owns a resort and does team-building on the side... haha

I was expressing some of my thoughts and ideas to the English teacher who was originally less supportive (when I asked her if the classes were collaborative she said, "no, they´re every man for himself"). She said she thought I looked like I was about to cry (which I wasn´t even close haha) so she took pity on me and helped me through getting my books and materials and telling me some very important things that everyone had failed to mention. I think a lot of things like that will come up, because there´s not a very clear teachers´ handbook, not as organized as some parts of the ELC, but the other teachers really seem to appreciate the freedom to do whatever they want in their classes... I must not be the creative type :)

Yesterday Angela was wearing a button up sleeveless blouse, cut-off short shorts with leggings underneath. I asked her what was generally acceptable for dress-code at the school. I told her Daniel had just told me to be professional. When I asked about jeans she said they are fine, and I think she might have been offended when she told me her outfit was fine for teaching and I gasped aloud. Haha, probably not my greatest moment... :)  So she said the only things you shouldn´t wear are flip flops so you look like you´re going to the beach.

I got my lesson plan calendar today, and started filling in my schedule. It´s beautiful and color-coded. That won´t last more than a week haha

We went to look at a house last night, and it was very dirty and dark and too big for me. I said no thanks.

A lady who works in the office told me today that her sister in law or aunt or someone rents out a room in her house and she feeds them and stuff (like how danny lived i think). She said she´ll call us if the room is open. She said there was a french couple there but she thinks they are leaving.

We bought a map of cuernavaca today (which will help me immensely) and we{re going to look for houses on the internet tonight. Angela is a saint to help me so much with everything. She took me today to get a cheap phone to last until I have my work visa (which you need to get a contract). I´ve at least got that now, so if anyone wants my Mexico cell phone number, I don´t know how it works with cost, but I can send you my number if you email me...


1 comment: