Saturday, August 24, 2013

Inevitable

This week the inevitable happened....
I survived!
  While it was touch-and-go there for a little while, I did survive my first week of full-time contract teaching. Now to make a slightly longer-term plan so that I don't have to desperately think of ideas every night for the next day at school. My plan is to spend today planning at LEAST the bimester (two months) but I'd ideally like to get the big picture for each of my classes for the whole year, then more specific for the semester, then even more specific for the bimester, then actual specific plans for at least the week. We'll see how that goes.

I got a cold!
  It was bound to happen with all these PEOPLE I'm interacting with. I have about 70 students, and at least one was blatantly sick, so I'm not terribly surprised that I've gotten sick. I am not, however, terribly pleased either... I slept for like 12 hours last night, which should prove helpful. I'm going to run down to the market today and get me some more meds to see if I can't mask the symptoms.

And Gabriel came to visit!
  He was so nice to drive down from D.F. and help me look for a place to live. We called every sign on the streets we could find, and saw like 10 houses in one afternoon. It was a big job, and I was grateful to have a friend (and his car) to do it.

So now, the big decisions... I think I've decided where I'm going to live, but I told a colleague I'd come look at a place he is renting out. I'm hoping to see his place this weekend, then on Monday go back to see the place I think I've chosen for one last look before I sign my life away for a year...  It's set up the same way as the majority of the houses on the hill, with 3 bedrooms, two upstairs and one on the main floor, and 1.5 baths (the half bath is under the stairs). This one comes with pretty faux wood laminate flooring, and a nice dining table and chairs and a tv. So I'll have some furniture to buy. But the nice thing is that this house is set a little further back in the complex, so not close to the road, and right outside my front door a pretty little ramada area with tables and chairs so I can work outside when it's nice. There's also a well cared for pool, which is nice. So yeah. We'll see how it looks again on Monday, then I'm probably going to hurry buy something I can sleep on, and hopefully move in!  If you know anyone in Cuernavaca looking for a roommate, I'd take a nice one :) I don't really need a three bedroom house to myself...

No comments:

Post a Comment